Adobong Baboy (Pork Adobo)

There must be as many ways to cook adobo as there are islands in the Philippines (high tide and low tide). There's adobong baboy, adobong manok, adobong pusit, chicken pork adobo, adobong matanda, adobong tuyo, adobo sa gata, etc. etc. If I list down all the different variations of adobo, it's going to take me until tomorrow.

Over the weekend, Teppie and I were invited to our friend Marichelle's place to pick up our pasalubong from the Philippines (which I later forgot to bring home with me - Boy Bawang!) and partake of the food her mom prepared for her so she wouldn't go hungry living alone and not doing any real cooking (well, her stock lasted all of one afternoon). And since I am a big fan of Marichelle's mom's cooking, I was so there.

The menu were, among other things, adobong baboy and gising gising (there were lots of other food but these 2 were the only ones I ate). Yes! Marichelle mentioned that her mom distinctly remembers me loving her gising gising recipe but what I think Marichelle doesn't remember is I love her mom's adobo as well. Today, I spent the better part of an hour (or so) looking at photos on the net, trying to match that with Tita's adobo but to no avail.

I already personally know how to cook two types of adobo so I thought, what the heck, might as well learn another one to satisfy my adobo craving. Although, I did ask Marichelle to ask her mom if she can give her recipe to me and until then, I wait with bated breath.

The Types Of Adobo I Know How To Cook


RecipeNameDescription
# 1Adobong Tuyono soy sauce, perfect with garlic rice and sunny side up
# 2Sweet Style Adoboquick and easy and with sugar
# 3Adobong Baboyno sugar


What You're Going To Need: 


To cook: 1 medium deep skillet

Ingredients:


1/2kg pork
1/2c vinegar
1/4c soy sauce
1/2c water
10-15pcs pepper corns
3-5 tbsp minced garlic
3-5pcs laurel leaves (Woohoo! I got some from downstairs.)
cooking oil (I use canola)

Procedure:



1. Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet. Next, brown the meat on all sides.


2. Once all the meat have browned, pour the vinegar, soy sauce, water, pepper corns, garlic and laurel leaves. Don't worry about the stuff that has stuck to the bottom of the pan, those are the good stuff. Bring to a boil over medium-high fire and let it continue to boil for around 10mins.



3. After the adobo has boiled, adjust the heat to low and let it cook slowly over the low fire. Cover with the lid. Let it continue to cook for another 30mins - 1hr or until the meat has reached your preferred tenderness.

That's it! I'm kinda leaning towards the sweet version of the adobo (but only coz I have a crazy sweet tooth) but as per Teppie the adobo was very good since the meat was super tender. Didn't get to ask To Man what he thought since he got home late. 

On top of that, Marichelle has just emailed me Tita's adobo recipe. I will cook that in a few days and let you know the outcome. Note to self: cook the dry adobo as well and take photos. :)

Happy cooking and bon appetit! 

3 Responses to "Recipe for the NOT So Lazy OFW: Adobong Baboy v2.0"

  1. gravatar nohvee Says:

    michelle,

    your adobo really looks delicious...i can't wait to taste your version of this filipino favorite.

    FYI for those people who do not know laurel leaves...they are also known as bay leaves...

  2. gravatar Sang Fajar Says:

    wow delicious food...


    http://video.gunadarma.ac.id

  3. gravatar Sang Fajar Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload