They say necessity is the mother of invention. I agree. For a few days now, I have been craving for lechon paksiw the past couple of days but of course, paksiw is not readily available in Singapore. :( Good thing, Mang Tomas is! Teppie brought home 2 bottles last Saturday (from her venture to Lucky Plaza) and I decided to come up with an OFW's version of paksiw.

The basic recipe is lifted from Market Man's but I had to do some tweaking coz, like I already said, lechon is not easy to get in my part of the world plus I don't have all the ingredients he listed so, of course, I had to do some substitutions.

On the other hand, I can't wait to have lechon when I come back home next month!


Today's Star Ingredient is:

Photo from nutriasia.com

What You're Going To Need: a medium pot

Heat Source: stove top

Ingredients:
500g pork (adobo cut)
1.5-2cups Mang Tomas All Around Sarsa
1/2cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar today)
5tbsp light soy sauce
3tbsp brown sugar
4 big cloves of garlic (crushed)
3 laurel (bay) leaves
1/2stick cinnamon
salt
whole pepper corns
mixed dried herbs (the recipe called for just thyme but my thyme was part of the mixed dried herbs so they all went into the pot)
canola/olive oil

Procedure:


1. In a pot, pour the oil then fry the pork until they are golden brown.



2. Once the meat has properly browned, pour all the ingredients except the Mang Tomas. Let cook over medium heat and cover with lid until the meat is fork tender. If you find it too dry, add some water.



3. Once the meat is tender, pour the Mang Tomas into the pot and stir until the Mang Tomas has properly mixed with the rest of the ingredients. Continue to let boil/simmer for around 5-10 more minutes to let the meat get even more tender. 

Tip: If you find that you poured too much Mang Tomas for your liking, add some water. :)


And there you have it, paksiw na pritong baboy! :) Teppie said that the dish was good and considering that she already had pasta and was still able to eat it, I'm taking that as a good sign. I've yet to know To Man's verdict coz, as usual, he came home late from work.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. A word of caution though, arm yourself accordingly when frying the pork. Frying them fatty pork meat can get tricky! Or at the very least, prepare some burn balm. Hehe. :)

1 Response to "Recipe for the Lazy OFW: Paksiw na Pritong Baboy"

  1. gravatar Unknown Says:

    Thank you, from Venezuela, it is deliciousssss!!!!

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload