Whenever I have tourist friends staying with us, one of the places that we bring them to is Lau Pa Sat. We would bring our friends to our favorite spot in Lau Pa Sat (the seafood stall called Boon Tat Street) and order seafood fried rice, red tilapia and cereal prawn from them and chicken and beef satay from the roaming hawkers. Every night, the satay stall owners would close down a portion of the street and set up tables there and sell their smoky yummy satays (chicken, beef, lamb, shrimp).

Lau Pa Sat is a historic market in Singapore where a smorgasbord of dishes can be found. Not only is local food sold and served here, but Western, Korean, Chinese, and yes, even Filipino.

The latter of which is what brought me to this place on this lazy Saturday afternoon. If you're feeling homesick, Lau Pa Sat will, surprisingly, bring you some of the great tastes of home.

Lau Pa Sat is located at 18 Raffles Quay or you can take the MRT and alight at Raffles Place Station and take exit F. Click here for directions.



Tapa King has arrived in Singapore! This is what I ordered:



Tapa Prince. I was with my friend Marichelle and she, on the other hand, ordered Tapa Queen. The difference between the two is the sweetness/spiciness factor. Tapa Prince is sweet while the Queen is spicy and a little bit sweet. They serve the tapa with garlic rice, sunny side up, and tomato salsa over a piece of brown paper laid flat on the tray (ala Indian food in some of the foodcourts). 



The Tapa King/Queen/Prince/Joe set meals all go for S$6.50. I have to tell you: it tasted as good as I remember it! The beef was very tender, even more tender than the tapa that we have back in the Philippines, if I may be so bold to say it. Marichelle and I missed it so much that we even ordered an additional round for take away/da pao/to go. For solo orders (meaning no egg, rice or salsa), the tapas cost S$5.00. Foodcourt pricewise though, Tapa King is a little on the pricier side.



After our good lunch (which took a while since Marichelle and I were also engaged in a great conversation), we found our way to Wendy's. The queue was short, which was good, so we were able to order the dessert that has been on my mind since the morning.  FROSTY! I can't remember when I last had Frosty and I can't tell you how much I missed it. Marichelle told me that it was good that the queue was short because the last time she was there, the queue was literally snaking around the place.

We both had the tall chocolate Frosty (I never knew there was so many varieties now), which I think was too much for us (Marichelle and I went a bit crazy with the size and got more than what we bargained for) and of course, took our sweet time finishing the Frosty by chatting up a storm. There was no way we were going to waste that sweet dessert. 

On our way out, Marichelle posed me this question, "Did you notice there's no bacon mushroom melt on the menu?" I didn't. "Well, they said the person who brought Wendy's here is Muslim so of course, no pork." Hmmm... That makes sense. :) So to the Muslims, Wendy's in Singapore seems to be halal or at the very least, pork-free.

Replete with the tapa and the frosty, we decided to walk all the way back to the MRT in order to burn all the guilty calories we just consumed. We parted at Red Hill and when I got home was finally able to nap. Oh, what a lazy Saturday! :)

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload