Growing up, I hated vegetables. As in! With a vengeance. As I got a little older, I have learned that I can stomach vegetables, little by little. One time, my friend Marichelle mentioned to me that there was this nice little Filipino restaurant she loved eating in when she was still working in Makati: Recipes by Cafe Metro.

When I went home in 2008, I saw that there was a Recipes in Mega Mall. So of course, my sister and I had to try it. I got to try the gising gising and the tilapia. Amazingly enough, I liked the gising gising!

Coincidentally, Marichelle's mom knew how to make gising gising too and Marichelle was kind enough to ask her mom how she did it and shared it with me. I have found a way to cook it beforehand but it wasn't as good as her mom's. 

The effort in this dish is in the preparation. Cooking it is a breeze!




What You're Going To Need:




To cook: medium sauce pan

Ingredients:







250g minced meat
250g french beans (baguio beans) - sliced into teeny tiny pieces

200ml coconut milk
1 chicken cube
1 minced garlic
1 1/2tbsp cooking oil (I use canola)
2 tbsp patis (fish sauce) 
1/2c water
salt
pepper
1pc red chili pepper or 1/2 tspn chili oil (or more depending on how hot you can take it ;))

Procedure:







In a medium sauce pan, saute the garlic until golden brown. Once done, add the minced meat, chicken cube, salt, pepper and fish sauce. 


Add the diced beans and saute for 3-5minutes.


Once the beans have partially cooked, add the coconut milk and the water. Cover the lid and let simmer for at least 10 minutes until the beans have softened. Add the chili pepper/chili oil and let simmer for 2 or more minutes.

That's it! You're ready to serve your gising gising. Tonight, we paired our gising gising with lechon kawali and it tasted great. I ate a lot of rice tonight. :)

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload