Back when I was a sophomore in college, my friend Kris and I frequented Megamall almost every day before heading home to grab dinner at one of our favorite places, Dulcinea. Salpicao served over hot white rice, paired with Dulcinea's 4-fruit shake, was one of my favorites and made for a very hearty meal (although this isn't saying much as I love almost all of the food on their menu. Sigh... Now I want churros con chocolate).


Flash forward to 2010, I was sitting in front of my computer one time and thinking to myself, "I miss salpicao. I should learn how to cook this," then completely forgot to research about easy recipes. I opened facebook instead. And what do I see there? My friend Darwin's recipe on how to cook salpicao. 


I think this is what they call fate.



Note: Darwin's original recipe uses half the ingredients only (with the exception of the beef). We doubled everything (except the beef) since we wanted a stronger tasting dish.


What You're Going To Need:


To prepare: a mixing bowl


To cook: a medium frying pan/grill pan or as per Darwin's recommendation, the sizzling plate


Heat source: Stove


Ingredients:


250g beef (Dar and I both use ribeye)
4tbsp of worcestershire sauce
2tbsp liquid seasoning (Maggi or Knorr)
3-4tbsp minced garlic
2tbsp butter
2tbsp olive oil


Procedure:




1. Marinate the beef in the worcestershire sauce and liquid seasoning for at least 15mins.



2. When you are ready to cook, heat your pan over medium fire. Saute the garlic in olive oil until golden. Afterwards, add the garlic until fully melted.



3. Once the butter has melted, drop the beef (without the marinade) into the pan and fry. Stir fry until they become evenly browned. According to Darwin, this process takes around 2mins.

4. Remove the beef from the pan and let rest for at least 1min. 

5. Add the marinade and then serve.

That's it! Super easy, right? And trust me, this tastes great! 

Thanks for sharing, Dar! We welcome more recipes in the future. 

1 Response to "Recipe for the Lazy OFW: Salpicao Ala Darwin"

  1. gravatar Anonymous Says:

    Ok, so I cooked this for lunch with my family today. I cooked half a kilo of beef tenderloin tips, so I doubled the ingredients. (I like small cubes of beef so I cut them up some more.) After following your instructions, I took the beef out of the pan and cooked the marinade sauce in the butter and olive oil over high heat to reduce it to a thicker sauce. then I put the beef back in to coat it with the sauce. Super delicious! Thanks, Jing!

    Dia

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload