I love hotel buffets! Particularly, the dessert table. Before, I used to go for the mousses and the ice creams and the tarts that I have always overlooked the bread pudding. Very recently, I discovered how great this very understated dessert was.

Well, once I discovered how good pudding was, I was hooked! There was one time that I couldn't stop thinking about it that I decided I might as well learn how to make it. I can't very well be all the time going to hotel buffets just to savor this humble dessert now, can I?

What you're going to need:

To prepare: a mixing bowl, whisker, brush (optional)

To bake: a medium baking dish, a large baking dish

Heat Source: oven

Ingredients:

1pc baguette
4 eggs
2c milk
3/4c sugar
1 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
2 tspn cinnamon sugar
butter
raisins/sultanas/dried cranberries
almond flakes
water

Procedure:

Preparation
1. Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees C.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and the milk. Once the two have combined, slowly add in the sugar while continuing to whisk. 
3. Add the vanilla and the cinnamon. Whisk. Set aside. This is your custard mix.
4. Get the medium baking dish and line with tin foil. In the meantime, melt the butter. Brush butter on the surface of the baking dish. 
5. Cut the bread into big chunks. Brush each surface with butter and line up neatly in the baking dish.
6. Sprinkle raisins and almond flakes.
7. Pour the custard mix over the buttered bread.

Baking
1. Boil water. 
2. In the large baking dish, settle the medium baking dish (with the pudding) in the middle. 
3. Pour the hot water in the large baking dish until it reaches mid-height of the medium baking dish.
4. Let cook for around 40mins. Check occasionally in case it gets baked earlier (I'm using a convection oven and it seems to be a bit freaky when it comes to functioning). Make sure that there is always water in the large baking pan or you run the risk of burning the bottom of the pudding.

I'm not sure if  this can compete with a hotel buffet's bread pudding but I'm happy with how this recipe always turns out. :)

Yeah, I'm a dork.

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload